Volunteering for a Mobilization
Navy IA Program Menu

Volunteering for a Mobilization

There are three primary ways to volunteer for mobilization as an RC Sailor.

Respond to a specific mobilization announcement.

  • Ensure you have approval from your unit commander to mobilize (e.g., route a special request chit through your chain of command).

  • Subscribe with the U.S. Navy Reserve to receive automated emails for mobilization opportunities and follow the directions in the announcement you are interested in.

Change your Mobilization Assignment Status (MAS) to indicate that you are volunteering for any available mobilization for which you are suited

  • You must route a special request chit through your chain of command.

  • Once approved, take your approved chit to your administration department at your NOSC and ask them to change your MAS code to VOL (volunteer) in NSIPS.

  • Once you change your MAS code, you are indicating you are ready to deploy immediately for any job in the system that you are qualified for worldwide assignment.

  • You will remain in a volunteer status until you change the code. Since current VOL MAS codes are given more consideration for recall, it is advisable to periodically update your status.

You can also volunteer for assignments via the CNRFC portal.


Below are a list of forms that are commonly needed to initiate the mobilization process. Depending on your individual circumstances, they may or may not apply:

For any questions or concerns, please contact CNRFC N35.

Navy.mil  |  Navy.com  |  Navy FOIA  |  DoD Accessibility/Section 508  |  No Fear Act  |  Open Government  |  Plain Writing Act 
USA.gov  |  Veterans Crisis Line  |  DoD Safe Helpline  |  Navy SAPR  |  NCIS Tips  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact US
Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command   |   1562 Mitscher Ave., Suite 250   |   Norfolk, Virginia 23551-2487
Official U.S. Navy Website