An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
U.S. Navy's Individual Augmentee (IA)
Navy IA Program Menu
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can the RC Sailor go on leave away from the assigned RCC MEDHOLD unit while in the MEDHOLD program?

Yes. However, leave cannot interfere with the member’s treatment plan. The request MUST be approved by the RCC MEDHOLD unit. Convalescent Leave may be authorized by the RCC MEDHOLD unit.

How does the MEDHOLD process work?

ECRC will evaluate RC personnel who incur or aggravate an injury, illness or disease while on active duty. If the injury, illness or disease is unfitting and cannot be resolved within the 14-day demobilization period, Medical Evaluation (MEDEVAL) orders for 30 days may be requested by ECRC.
ECRC forwards the MEDHOLD Request to PERS-95.

PERS-95 will authorize MEDHOLD orders if the determination is made that the RC Sailor does require extension on active duty for medical care.

ECRC will be notified by PERS-95 of the decision and the member will be transferred to the most appropriate Reserve Component Command (RCC) MEDHOLD unit for management. Treatment for the RC Sailor is provided at the local Military Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) in coordination with the RCC MEDHOLD unit and PERS-95.

RC personnel who have reached maximum medical benefit or have been on MEDHOLD for 12 months or greater; and cannot be returned to a Fit for Duty status will be referred to the Disability Evaluation System (DES) for a disability determination through the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB).

Who can authorize RC personnel to be placed on MEDHOLD orders?

Navy Personnel Command (PERS-95)

Can the RC Sailor on MEDHOLD orders approve/schedule his or her own medical treatment and surgery?

No. All medical treatment and surgery must be scheduled by the RCC MEDHOLD unit.

Will the RC Sailor be employed while in MEDHOLD?

Yes. Member will have assigned duties within the member’s physical limitations.

Does the RC Sailor receive active duty pay while in MEDHOLD?

Yes. The RC Sailor will receive their pay and allowances in accordance with the JFTR.

Are RC personnel authorized Limited Duty (LIMDU) status by the MTF?

No. The MEDHOLD program is commensurate with the LIMDU Program by ensuring medical treatment for an injury, illness, or disease incurred or aggravated on active duty. The primary difference is that MEDHOLD manages the medical treatment of RC personnel at the RCC MEDHOLD unit; LIMDU manages the medical treatment of AC personnel at their duty station.

Is MEDHOLD only authorized for RC personnel who are on mobilization orders?

No. All RC personnel on active duty orders for greater than 30 days can request to remain on active duty for medical care beyond the expiration of their orders.

Must RC personnel who incur or aggravate an injury, illness, or disease on active duty orders greater than 30 days remain on MEDHOLD for medical care?

No. RC personnel may request to be released from active duty and obtain treatment for the condition(s) utilizing Line of Duty (LOD) benefits program at their home of record. The RC Sailor must sign a Page 13 indicating that choice.

What does the RC Sailor need to know about the Navy’s DES and PEB?

The PEB evaluates the Sailor’s medical condition(s) when the attending physician determines that the condition will prevent the member from performing his or her duties in the Navy. If the PEB finds the member ‘Unfit for continued Naval service’ a disability rating will be assigned and the member will be placed on either the Temporary Disabled Retirement List (TDRL), Permanently Disabled Retirement List (PDRL), or separated from the service with severance pay.

What is an Individual Deployment Support Specialist (IDSS) and how do I get one?

 IDSSs are designated Fleet and Family Service Center Staff, who provide individualized support and are available to assist with information and referral, homecoming briefs, and clinical counseling during a Sailor’s IA deployment cycle.  IDSSs are assigned to IAs and their families by Regional Individual Deployment Support Coordinators (RIDSC). RIDSC are responsible for the Individual Deployment Support Program in their area.


Why do I have an IDSS and Command Individual Augmentee Coordinator (CIAC) assigned to me?

Both groups have different areas of expertise with the same goal in mind to support IAs and their families. A CIAC’s main purpose is to be the command's subject matter expert on all matters as they relate to IA's, and will ensure that their IA Sailors are prepared for deployment, supported throughout the deployment cycle, and welcomed back home. An IDSS assists the family with day to day issues that may arise. Regardless of their areas of expertise, both a CIAC and IDSS work together closely to ensure the Sailor and his/her Family is prepared and able to get help when it is needed. 

Do I have to have an IDSS?

Yes, every IA is assigned an IDSS.  At a minimum you should have initial and final contact with your IDSS. You have the option of requesting how often contact is made and how the IDSS communicates with you. For example you can request monthly contact via telephone or every week via e-mail. During major disasters your IDSS will contact you to ensure you are safe.

How do IDSS keep in contact with me?

 IDSSs use the Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System (NFAAS) Individual Deployment Support Module as a database to facilitate communication and to ensure IA family members get desired support throughout the service member's deployment and reintegration. It is vital for both the IA and their family to maintain up to date contact information in NFAAS.

How long does the IDSS continue to assist me?

An IDSS will continue to work with you and provide reintegration support for 180 days post-deployment.  If after 180 days you still require assistance, the IDSS will facilitate a transfer to the nearest Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC). As always, anytime you need assistance or advice please contact the FFSC.  |  |  Navy FOIA  |  DoD Accessibility/Section 508  |  No Fear Act  |  Open Government  |  Plain Writing Act  |  Veterans Crisis Line  |  DoD Safe Helpline  |  Navy SAPR  |  NCIS Tips  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Contact US
Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command   |   1562 Mitscher Ave., Suite 250   |   Norfolk, Virginia 23551-2487
Official U.S. Navy Website
Veteran's Crisis Line